World Map


View Mike Nelson's Travels on a larger map

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

day 30: the Con

tonight i was walking down the street looking for a place to eat. there didn't look like anything that would hit the spot, so i sat down at a little cafe and ordered a smoothie and opened up my new book. while i was reading, this little korean guy came and sat next to me and started up a conversation. (it seems that when i sit down to study somewhere i gain an instant friend.) so we talked for about 20 minutes and he said he was going to go meet up with his buddies and asked me if i wanted to join him. it seemed like a new adventure, plus new people to meet, so i was totally up for it. we talked on our way down the street and made our way into a building and down some stairs. it opened up to a large bar, a lot of stalls, and a vacant dance floor. i was thinking, "oh no... i sure hope he didn't bring me to a night club..."

he sat me down at one of the booths and his friends showed up a few minutes later. they sat down next to me and we kept talking over the music, (mostly about how i didn't drink... they couldn't believe it!) and then the little korean fella said, "oh, we need 이만원 ($20) from you." i looked at him and said, "oh, don't worry.... remember, i don't drink. and plus i just ate, so don't order anything for me." he just looked at me. then he said, "we need the money. we work here." "why," i asked. "well, you walked in. the price of this club is 이만원. since you have been here for a while, you have to pay us. its not free." i remembered a conversation i had with a return missionary when i was at BYU. he told me to be careful because sometimes older people will give you "free" food, only to demand payment after you eat it. this was like that, but on a different scale. so i played the stupid american card and said, "huh, i didn't understand those words. can you repeat them?" he repeated. i wasn't going to let him get the money, so i still acted like i didn't understand. he grabbed a napkin and drew a door with a guy passing through it and then he drew the money sign. i looked up at him and said, "oh, pictionary. i love this game! how many syllables?" (simply a miracle that i came up with that.) he looked at his buddies and then at me with a blank stare. "you know... pictionary...," i said as i grabbed the pen and started to draw another picture. "this game is going to be really tough for me in korean because i don't know a lot of vocabulary words... we should play another game." again, they just looked at me. "did you understand me?" i asked. the shook their head no. "okay, stay here. i will go get my dictionary and i'll come right back. this will not be a fun night if you don't understand me." i stood up and the little korean stood up with me. "no, go ahead and stay with your friends. order some drinks and i'll come right back. i only live around the corner." he actually bought it and sat back down. i took off up the stairs, went to my apartment, grabbed my bag, and returned to the night club...

but only to take a picture for all y'all sakes. to top off the night, i found this help wanted sign on my way back. (click on the picture to enlarge it.)

it was a funny evening.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Mike, the highlight of my day is reading your blog--I can't believe everything that has happened to you. Sounds like you are having an interesting trip!

Kimba said...

My new goal: find a way to fit "challengeous" in a sentence. And convince Caleb that it is SO totally a word...