World Map


View Mike Nelson's Travels on a larger map

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 22: the windless wind surfing


When the wind is strong, that is the best time to go wind surfing. Unfortunately, it wasn’t that way for us. We somehow picked the weakest day to go. After a short tutorial, we paddled out to sea and got on our boards. It took me about 5 minutes to master my balance, but then I soon found out that it is hard to actually stay up when you the waves are pushing you around instead of the wind. Jean and I tried it for a half an hour, but the wind didn’t ever pick up. So, we just played out there in the ocean until the main instructor came out to us on his wave runner and told us to come in. as we paddled in, the wind picked up and Jean and I got 10 minutes of good riding until our time was up. (We rented the boards for only the hour.)

Then we went to the Mongolian ruins. I was expecting something like the Mayan ruins from the little drawing that they had on the tourist map. When we showed up, it started to pour down, and there wasn’t anybody around. I was thinking, “sweet, this place is going to be all to ourselves!” I soon found out why the place was abandoned. It turned out to be a recent memorial for the soldiers that fought bravely 600 years ago. There was a huge headstone and that was about it. No broken down walls, no broken pottery, no idol worship. I was pretty disappointed and I bet that other people were too. (except that i know that my mom would have loved every bit of the headstone...) Then we found out that we weren’t on a bus route, and that because of the rain, there weren’t any taxis on the road. So we walked a mile or two until we came to a little information desk at the bottom of the mound. They called us a taxi, and we came back to the Ho’s house and ate some more spicy fish. My tongue wants a break.

No comments: