World Map


View Mike Nelson's Travels on a larger map

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Arrival

Who doesn't love to fly? I don't see how one couldn't when they are surrounded by 4 nuns for a couple of hours, and then given their own little entertainment center to try to keep them from killing themselves on a 12 hour flight. Plus, theres the occasional random screening and watching another man get full on patted down and violated in public. ahhh, the wonderful aspects of flying...

anyways, i left Monday morning and arrived Tuesday night. I schmoozed my way through customs and went and picked my bags. I was told that I was going to have Jean (the 20 year old college guy i'm teaching english to) be there with a limo. well, that was only half true. Jean showed up a half an hour late with a public bus. Furthermore, he doesn't speak a lick of English. Luckily for me, he was able to use his sweet techno cell phone to translate all the words that he wanted to express. He is going into the service in October (its a mandatory thing here in korea) and then he's going to go to school for exercise science. He's a pretty easy kid to talk to... for as much as I can get across to him.



we rode the bus for 2 hours and arrived in Jeunho. We pulled my luggage through the streets for a couple of miles and then finally arrived at where i'm staying. its called "싱글하우스21" which is "singleshouse 21". I'm on the 4th floor with a studio apartment. well, i don't think studio is a good word for it. more like a crawl space. the cool thing is that i have my own little bathroom. you shut the door and its a toilet, sink, and shower all in one. the land lady is pretty cool, but i don't understand a word she says. ha ha. this is going to be a fun 6 weeks!

When i woke up this morning I thought i woke up in a hot sweat, but then realized that there was just condensation on everything in the room. its extremely humid here and you feel like you are drowning. running this morning was like swimming through an extremely dense, invisible, and smelly fog - definitely took a few years off of my life.

No comments: