World Map


View Mike Nelson's Travels on a larger map

Thursday, July 31, 2008

day 17: the variety of squid treats

what’s better than an American burger? How about a squid burger? Or maybe a kimchee burger? Or even a combination of the too if you wanted? That’s what you get when you go to Lotteria, a knock off of the good old McDonalds. Since we were hungry before our voyage to the southern tip of korea, we stopped in and got a burger. Lets just say that korea should stick to making rice, and America should stick to making healthy foods like hot dogs and hamburgers.


Anyways, the 5 hour train ride was looking pretty dim and boring until I got onto the train. I was welcomed with “let it be” by the Beatles, but only this was the Chinese instrumental version done with a kayagum (one of those oriental harp things). I love how our cultures have made such a great bond through pure talent. I knew that it wasn’t going to be that bad, and fell asleep instantly. I was awoken by a strange smell a couple of hours later. Jean had purchased some Jerky from the little vendor on the train, but it wasn’t the normal type. It was Squid Jerky. And, other than the smell, it tasted pretty good. I can’t get the smell off my hands or breath though, even after scrubbing with soap. Everything has its ups and downs, like the bathroom with windows so you can see if it is being occupied. Ha ha. No joke. But you gotta do what you gotta do.



When we got off the train, we hit up the Buddhist temple where Jean explained what was up with the sweet buildings, gold statues, and the water that you drink right out of the hills. (I just pray that I don’t get some weird mountain bacteria from trying it out.)
Then we came back and went to the hot spring and health club to relax. However, I had a hard time relaxing because the health spas here are like bath houses, and everybody walks around naked. They even work out the buff. There was no way that I was going to go near that weight bench!

No comments: