World Map


View Mike Nelson's Travels on a larger map

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 20: the korean titanic


So, the ferry to Jeju was supposed to bearable. That was an overstatement. After overbooking the boat by 75 people, we ended up in the boiler room. If the Titanic was run by Koreans, I bet a whole lot more people would have died. It was loud, hot, and there was no way that I was going to get any sleep (we left at 7 pm and would arrive at 7 am). We were in there with another 8 people, who were in our same position. One of the guys works for Korea Air and he was way funny. After an hour of complaining, they put us in another room… but this one was full of little kids. I’m not sure which was worse: a boiler room, or a room full children that have never had any interaction with a foreigner and like pulling his arm hairs and going through his luggage and making him translate every word in the Korean language to English. It’s a toss up. Luckily, I could always go out on the deck and have all the young teenage girls come up and say “hi, my name is (fill in the blank), how are you?” when I would respond, they would just look at me with blank stares not knowing what to do next. Then I would start talking to them in Korean and they would all giggle as they ran away. Simply priceless! ( Now if only I could get the older ones to do the opposite!) Luckily, around 1 a.m. the deck cleared out and I had it to myself, all until the funny guy from Korea air brought out some Japanese beer for me. I declined, but it raised a lot of questions. We sat out there on the deck until 4 talking about our differences in cultures, religions, and girls. (He brought that last subject up, not me – just to make it clear.)

No comments: